- Dry Skin-Flacky skin, prone to wrinkles and lines
- Normal Skin- an ideal balance between oil and moisture contents, fine, even and smooth surface
- Oilly Skin- slightly to moderately greasy, prone to black heads, white heads, spots and pimples
- Combination Skin- it is a combination of both oily and dry or normal skin where certain areas of the face are oily and the rest dry, The oily parts are usually found on a central panel, called T – Zone, The dry areas usually consist of the cheeks and the areas around the eyes and mouth
- Sensitive Skin- tendency to react with irritation, redness, stinging or burning, flaking, lumpiness and rashes , This skin is typically dry, but can be oily, normal or combination as well
What is the hair structure?
Hair is composed of three principal parts:
- Cuticle- Outer coating which contains the oil content of hair
What products are suitable for a particular skin type?
• Dry Skin- Moisturizers, day cream, Night cream (must), Sunscreen, Face wash
• Normal Skin- Face wash, Sunscreen and Night cream
• Oily Skin- Face wash, Day cream, Sunscreen
• Combination Skin- Face wash, Day cream, moisturizer, Sunscreen
• Sensitive Skin- Face wash, Moisturizers, Day cream and night cream
What skin tests are possible to understand skin type?
Skin type can be checked out at home without the use of any instrument.
In the morning as soon as you wake up apply a dry tissue paper on the face and tab with gentle pressing. Then remove from the face and check for oily patches. The patches will vary as per skin type:
• Dry Skin- No patches are observed
• Normal Skin- minimal patch is observed
• Oily Skin- large number patches are observed
• Combination Skin- Disperse patches are observed
What tests are possible to understand hair type?
The best possible way to check the hair type is to shampoo the hair and then check for these signs:
• Dry Hair- High static electricity, hair are dry on second day of shampooing
• Normal Hair- No static electricity, Hair gets oily on third day of shampooing
• Oily Hair- On second day of shampooing hair get oily and becomes limp
How does day cream work on skin?
The day cream works on the skin by providing:
1. Moisturization: Skin slows internal water loss and acts as a barrier against harmful elements such as bacteria, pollutants and the sun's radiation. For this vital barrier to function at its best, the outer layers (epidermis and stratum corneum) must contain adequate moisture. This moisture is easily lost and must be frequently replenished. When the moisture content of skin drops below this 30% concentration level, dry skin is usually the outcome. This product provides the skin with nourishment and emolliency leading to deep moisturization which lasts for a long time.Argon oil used in the formulation helps to restores the skin's natural elasticity, enablesthe skin to absorb moisture from the air and, as a result, it becomes softer and stays moisturized for a longer time. In addition, it has antioxidant and skin healing properties.
2. Skin Whitening:The process of darkening of skin happens due to increased melanin synthesis. It also significantly reduces the area of dark spots and lightens the skin for a sublimated complexion.
3. UV Protection:UV stimulates the generation of tyrosinase, increases oxidative stress resulting in inflammation and skin darkening. The day cream prevents the UV rays from affecting the skin. As it contains kojic acid which has sun screening properties.. The layer which is formed on the skin forms a barrier layer, which absorbs the UV rays and prevent them from acting on the skin.
How does skin react to night cream? What are the results of night cream use?
1. Moisturization: Skin slows internal water loss and acts as a barrier against harmful elements such as bacteria, pollutants and the sun's radiation. For this vital barrier to function at its best, the outer layers (epidermis and stratum corneum) must contain adequate moisture. This moisture is easily lost and must be frequently replenished. When the moisture content of skin drops below this 30% concentration level, dry skin is usually the outcome. This product provides the skin with nourishment and emolliency leading to deep moisturization which lasts for a long time.Argon oil used in the formulation helps to restores the skin's natural elasticity, enables the skin to absorb moisture from the air and, as a result, it becomes softer and stays moisturized for a longer time. In addition, it has antioxidant and skin healing properties.
2. Skin Whitening: The process of darkening of skin happens due to increased melanin synthesis. It also significantly reduces the area of dark spots and lightens the skin for a sublimated complexion.
3. Anti ageing properties: The product help in reducing the ageing by improving the elasticity of skin and by increasing the collagen synthesis. Argon oil used in the formulation helps to restores the skin's natural elasticity as well as has antioxidant and skin healing properties. Pimpal extract has excellent collagen synthesis properties. Rose extract is also high in Vitamin C which helps in fighting the free radicals formed due to exposure of skin to sunlight and various pollutants.
How does one analyse what type of hair structure you have?-
1. SPLIT ENDS- Excessive split ends near the hair tip shows damaged hairs due to excess Shampooing and brushing. Split ends depicts cuticle erosion and splitting of cortex in hair.
2. BREAKING OF HAIR- Chemical treatment of hair causes surface modification, reduced hair strength and increased porosity which leads to breaking of hair intermittently.
3. ROUGH AND DULL HAIR- Ageing of hair and excessive hair treatments leads to deterioration of the cuticular region from root to tip.
4. DISCOLORED HAIR- Sun rays causes bleaching of brown hair and browning of black hair.
5. TANGLING- reduces tensile strength and gloss, increases friction and tangling.
6. THINNING OF HAIR - Ageing causes reduction in the diameter of hair
7. STATIC CHARGE- Can happen due to dryness, Chlorine from swimming pool also causes increased hair friction.
Can you recommend a regular skin-care regime?
In the morning wash your face with face wash and apply the day cream. Always cover your skin with a sunscreen before going out into the Sun, this prevents the skin from reacting to the harmful UV rays. Before sleeping in the night wash your face again with the face wash and massage the skin gently with night cream for 5 minutes. Then end the skin care regime with a good night sleep of 8 hours.
Extra tips as per skin Type:
• Dry Skin- Constant protection needed, Exfoliation should be done once a week.
• Normal Skin- This type of skin needs minimal and gentle treatment, Exfoliation can be done twice a week.
• Oily Skin- Moisturizing with an oil-free, water-based and non-comodegenic moisturizer, don’t use exfoliants when acnes are on face. Wash the face four times a day with face wash.
• Combination Skin- Exfoliate twice a week, always wash the face minimum three times a day.
• Sensitive Skin- Avoid weekly exfoliation. Exfoliate once in fifteen days.
Can you recommend a regular hair-care regime?
The hair are more susceptible to wear and tear as they do not have the capability to nourish themselves hence it is very necessary to massage and nourish the hair by replenishing the depleted oil layer.
Why an oil massage regime is important? Why oil is beneficial?
Massage is always good for hair. Massage helps in increasing the blood flow to the scalp. The increased blood flow provides extra nourishment to the scalp. This helps in improved hair growth and reduction of hair fall. It also gives a further relief of stress by stimulating the nerve endings.
The hair oil helps in further reducing the hair loss by providing the extra nourishment to the scalp by:
• Maintaining and improving the condition of hair
• Aims at improving the blood circulation, through cleansing of scalp and stimulation of hair buds.
What are the diet basics for healthy skin and hair?
Eat lots of green vegetables, carrots, dairy products, nuts, pulses and fresh fruits with pulp.
Fish is good for skin and hair.
Sesame seeds are good for skin and hair.
Drink minimum two litres of water everyday. This helps to flush the toxins from the body.
What are blackheads and whiteheads?
The skin contains pores. These pores are generally clean when a person stays away from the polluted air, dirt and dust. Our skin exfoliates dead skin cells on regular basis, generally the skin present in pores also exfoliates but due to small opening of pores many times it is not able to come out and remain inside the pores. The skin also secrets sebum in the pores this sebum along with transglutaminase bind the exfoliated cells and forms a ball like structure which clog the pores. When dirt gets trapped in the pores and stick to this ball then black heads are formed otherwise it forms white heads.
How do you get rid of blackheads and whiteheads?
Black head and white head can be removed by taking care of the skin on a day to day basis. One should aim at having a skincare regime comprising of:
This regime, if followed properly, will reduce the black and white heads significantly.
How often should one do facials?
Facials are to be done once in month for young skin and once in fifteen days for aged skin.
Does doing of facials depend on your age?
Facials depend on your age and skin type. For age 50 and above the facials should be done once in fifteen days. For age 40 and above facials should be done once a month. For age 30 and above facials should be done once in two months. Facials for age 20 and above should be done once in three months.
How do you get rid of dark circles?
Dark circles are the result of lack of sleep, stress and improper diet. Dark circles can be reduced by having sound sleep for 8 hours. Apply a good undereye cream with massaging for enhanced circulation in the morning, before going to bed.
When and how many times should a moistuzier be used?
Moisturizer are an essential of beauty regimes. Depending on the skin type moisturizers are used in the following way:
Dry Skin: Daily moisturising is required. Minimum application in the morning,afternoon and in night.
Normal Skin: Moisturization should be done twice a day.
Oily Skin: Moisturization should be done once a week.
How often should you wash your face?
One should wash the face depending on the skin type:
Oily Skin- Wash 4 times a day
Dry Skin- Wash 2 times a day
Normal Skin- Wash 2 times a day
Combination skin- Wash 3 times a day
Why use a face wash instead of soap?
Soaps are alkaline in nature and dry the skin on application, whereas Face wash has neutral pH which tends to performs better cleaning effect on skin without any adverse effects.
How does one get rid of acne?
Acne are caused due to hyper keratosis of skin and increased sebum secretion. Prevention of acne can be done by:
Washing the face four to five times a day
Use an astringent on the face to close the pores
How does hair loss happen?
Hair loss happen due to:
Lack of proper nutrition
Inadequate supply of harmones
Excess exposure to UV (Sunlight)
Heavy Medicine intake/medication.
How to control or get rid of hair fall/dandruff?
Dandruff and hair fall can be reduced by daily massaging of hair with hair oil and leaving it on the scalp for minimum two hours. The oil should then be removed from the scalp by shampooing. Incase of excessive dry hair shampooing and application of oil should be done every alternate day.
What is dandruff and how it affects our hair and our emotional make up?
Dandruff is a cycle of excessive desquamation of skin. The characteristics of dandruff are:
Excessive cell reproduction of epidermal cells
Formation of scales
Overproduction of oil glands
Excessive colonization by microbes
Formation of free fatty acids
How to take care on a bad hair day?
On a bad hair day just spray the hair with dry shampoo massage and comb and the day will change from bad hair day to good hair day.
What home remedies can be used for skin and hair care?
A. Wine serves as an astringent for skin
B. Use a pack of curd and turmeric for dandruff control
C. To remove tanning from face apply a combination of raw milk and lemon
D. Use sugar to exfoliate the skin when in a hurry to go for party
E. For treating dry skin apply a combination of olive oil and oats
F. Use flat beer as a conditioner for hair
G. The hair can also be conditioned by a decoction of tea leaves